May 22, 2010

{ Classic Granola }


 Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix together in large bowl:
 1 c. pecans, chopped  (I chop the nuts as small as possible so my family doesn't realize they are there!)
1 c. almonds, chopped
3 c. quick oats
1/ 8 c. ground flax
1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut

In another small bowl, mix together and microwave about a minute until warm, then stir:
1/4 c. maple syrup (I use homemade, but you can use store stuff if you want)
1/4 c. honey
1/3 c. canola oil
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Pour wet mixture over dry and mix until everything thoroughly coated.  Line a large cookie sheet with tin foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.  Dump granola onto pan and spread evenly with spatula.  Bake 15 min or until lightly golden brown.  Recipe says to stir every 5 min. but I usually don't.  Just watch and make sure it doesn't get too brown or it will taste slightly burnt.  When done immediately lift onto counter or cookie sheet while holding tin foil to stop cooking process.  Let cool to room temperature.  Store in airtight container.  I double this recipe and store it on my counter in a glass jar.  Double recipe fits my jar perfectly.

* you can change ingredients all you want.  Like add sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, dried fruit, wheat germ, etc.  just make sure you increase the wet ingredients to compensate.

I like to eat it in a bowl with milk and fruit on top or with fruit and yogurt as a parfait.  Yum!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Yummy! I can't wait to try this!

Karilyn Carreon said...

That looks so delicious! I have been trying to find a good granola recipe that has flax seed in it! Thanks!

Sheri said...

That looks so yummy. Kelsie is going to make some to take to BYU this summer.

Thanks Bob!!!