October 26, 2010

{ My New Kitchen }

We just moved into our new house this week. Before we moved in, we decided to fix up the kitchen. There are a couple of things left to finish, but for the most part we are done.  Here are a few of the pictures of my cute new kitchen.  I loooove how it's turning out. 

 Here are a few before pictures. The kitchen looked okay, but there were not enough cabinets and it looked a little dated with the stock builder cabinets. 
There was some wasted space on this wall.  I decided to add a wall of cabinets here to get some more storage.


 Here's the after.......


Here's what we did:
1. We bought stock cabinets from Lowes for under the window and added them onto the wall. 
2. We painted all the cabinets including the island.to look like wood.(Thanks again to April and Mary for being willling to help me paint another kitchen.)
3. Put new hardware on the cabinets.
4. Removed the wine rack on the island and made it into a shelf.
5. Put new granite on the outside counters with a new sink and faucet that I found on Overstock for a great price.
6. Put new marble on the island. We removed a foot on the right side to give us more space in front of the new cabinets.
7. Added a great new light fixture that I found on CSN above the island (only $103 w/free shipping!). We used a light kit from Lowes to replace the can light.)
8. To top it all off, we got new stainless steel appliances.

But one of my favorite things is the new open shelving I added on that empty wall. I love to take something old and repurpose it and that's just what I did.

I bought this hutch top (which had a base also that I will show in a later post.)  I bought both for $20 at a garage sale.  Everyone told me I was crazy because it really did look like junk.  I love junk and I love a great deal.  Here is the before picture of the shelf. 

 I started by sanding as much of the old paint off as I could.  I removed the cabinet doors then added beadboard on the back and added a little trim to the edge to finish it.  I then put a shelf on the bottom.  I painted the whole thing with white paint and sanded off all of the edges and the middles of the shelves. I tried to take off enough paint to give it some character.  I then painted the whole thing with a glaze and rubbed off a bit to add some age. I added some brackets for the bottom and painted, sanded, and glazed them to match the shelf.

Here's another look at that big empty wall...

I hung it on the wall with some big screws making sure I hit some studs.  I definately didn't want it to come crashing down full of my cute things.

April stayed long enough to help me accessorize. That is the fun part.


We're almost finished. I am waiting for my white subway tile backsplash to be finished. I'd like to get some new blinds and my third barstool is getting a new seat so it can join the other two. Also, sometime in the future, we will get new flooring.

I'm so happy with how it turned out! It's a great start for our new home and I look forward to working on the rest of the house.

14 comments:

Holly said...

Oh Sheri! I am so happy for you. It just couldn't be more beautiful. Enjoy it Honey!

Denise said...

wow! wow! wow! sheri. i am dying. that is amazing. omgosh. now i REALLY need you to come out and see me!!!!

April said...

Wow! So happy to see it all finished. The countertops turned out G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S.! Are those the one we picked out? They look amazing. Do you love it? I'm blown away by the finished project. Can't wait to see more pictures of the new house!

Candice said...

That is fantastic!! Oh my heck I want a new house now!! It's absolutely beautiful!!!!!!

Shanade said...

I love, love, love the new kitchen!!! I want something similar so badly. Sigh... maybe someday.

Jessi | Minnesota Mrs. said...

This looks so amazing! You have a GREAT set-up for entertaining, especially now with the extra serving space on that extra wall. The white cabinets really brighten it up too. Great idea!! Hope you're enjoying your new space!

Monica said...

Beautiful! I have some open shelving but would not have thought to "accessorize" the way you did. I think I have a new project now. :) Great job!

Suzy said...

My husband and I are both stunned and amazed at what you created! It is beautiful :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Wow, wow, wow - I love it! It gives me so much inspiration for my kitchen redo. My cabinets are just about that color. I have my paint and a spraygun I am just working up the courage to do it!

I would love to know some of the more detailed info like what kind of primer did you use and how did you paint the cabinets. Did you spray the doors? And also how long it it take?

xox
Jen

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

What a fantastic kitchen redo! You must be in love with it. I adore that shabby cabinet you hung on the wall. Great inspiration!

Emily said...

It's really beautiful and such a transformation! Great job. Congrats on your new home!!

emily@remodelingthislife

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

That is one gorgeous kitchen transformation! Makes me want to work on my kitchen next. Hmmm. Master bathroom - kitchen - master bath - kitch. I can't decide!

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

LesterLV said...

Hi! This is Leslie, Mary's niece! What glaze did you use on the cabinets over the Swiss coffee paint?
Thanks!

Sheri said...

Hi Leslie , I got a paint glaze at Lowe's. It is made by Valspar. I don't have any left so I couldn't look up the color but it was a medium brown. I hope this helps. Sheri